5 Good Reasons To Visit Ecuador
Bordered by Colombia, Peru, and the beautiful Pacific Ocean, Ecuador is one of the tiniest countries in South America – but do not be fooled. There is plenty to see, do, and experience in Luz de América (the light of America). There are thousands of reasons to visit Ecuador; here are five to whet your appetite.
- Unparalleled natural beauty. Ecuador is one of the most biodiverse regions in the world. It boasts 50 ecosystems, from the Galapagos to tropical rainforests to forested valleys to the Andean mountains. In a country as small as Nevada, you can see and do it all! Ecuador is considered “mega-diverse” and several hotspots have been named UNESCO World Heritage Sites. It is also the first country to put the rights of the environment into the country’s constitution.
- Adventure after adventure. Don’t passively watch nature go by; go after it! Hiking, biking, kayaking, horseback riding, diving, swimming, rafting, trekking through volcanoes…and rewarding your hard work with a good soak in a hot spring or an hour or two (or three) on a tropical beach.
- The weather. Enjoy perpetual spring. Ecuador, literally the “Republic of the Equator,” is mild, and you can plan your trip around your schedule instead of around the weather. Conditions are ideal for activities, lounging, and enjoying Ecuador’s many charms.
- The rich culture. Ecuador is home to a diversity of cultures, many of which (particularly in the Andean and Amazonian regions) live much the way they did centuries ago. In city centers, visitors will find museums, theaters, thriving markets, festivals, and very welcoming people. Ecuador blends Spanish culture with African and European influences, and this vibrancy is reflected in the people and its cities.
- The food! A great reason to visit any locale! The food of Ecuador is also very diverse, as we would expect from this country. Staples include beef, pork, seafood, beans, rice, yucca, potatoes, and a spicy Aji sauce. There are also exotic fruits, quinoa, and lots of fresh seafood. A favorite is shrimp ceviche. The shrimp is marinated in lime, salt, and seasonings, including hot pepper. Very simple, but very tasty.
Ecuador is a wonder of nature, but its people and cultures are equally diverse and beautiful. This is a perfect destination for those who want to do more than go on vacation, who want to live life to the fullest and experience a vibrant way of life.